The society is dedicated to the following aims:
- improvment and spreading of glaciological knowledge,
- facilitates contacts between glaciological experts, practitioners and society,
- takes position in glaciological questions of general interest,
- supports knowledge exchange and collaboration between its members,
- keeps contacts to national and international societies, and supports the next generation of scientists.
The Swiss Society for Snow, Ice and Permafrost is open to all persons interested in glaciology.